Tuesday, February 19, 2013

                    Thoughts of a Log
                   in a Carpenter Shop


Once I was part
  of a sturdy tree.
I felt the rain,
  wind, and sun.
Nature was a part of me,
  and I, a part of Nature.
I'm still very happy;
  for someday,
  I will become something beautiful.
Perhaps, a chair-
  a chair for my King!
Maybe, a part of his throne-
  yes, that's it!!
I'll be part of my King's throne.

The carpenter is picking me up.
As he cuts into my flesh
  I feel only joy,
  for I know
  I will be of service to my King.
Wait--
The carpenter is using the wrong tools!
Stop! Stop!
What is he making of me?
Stop! Stop!
What is he making of me?
What a disgrace!
The carpenter has turned me
  into a feeding box for animals.
Now, I will never be able to serve my King.
The carpenter has made me
  a lowly manger.

        -James Irving Mann-
        copyright 2006

        jamesirvingmann@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment